Saturday, November 15, 2014

BRENT RIDGE - NAC CLASSES 11-17-14


This week we want to explore an alternative processes of painting.  This includes, yes, using a squeegee instead of brush (or a slice of cardboard of some kind).  This will allow you to blur and change your surface in unexpected ways.  You can do this with a good paint knife too but the long span of the blade on a squeegee makes it ideal to change large area of your painting.





Cheap plastic or gold plated - either way it works.  Find at hardware store - an excellent alternative to the art store (cheaper for sure).  Or the more traditional printmaker's squeegee below (not cheap or necessary):



Gerhard Richter is the master of the squeegee and the blurred brush painting, and we'll take inspiration in this kind of technique from him.  I made a post of his work: LINK






Blog Archive

About Me

Boston, MA, United States
I'm an artist originally from Flint, MI now residing in Boston, MA. In-between I practiced my art in NYC and overseas in Scotland. I've been using this blog to situate Boston art and artists amongst the International scene of contemporary art. You can find my art on www.brent-ridge.com